Major Appliances/Whirlpool Duet Dryer Control Panel Problem

Question
Model: GEW9250PW1

Without any previous signs of impending failure, this morning the Control On button does not activate the control panel.  I went through the More/Less/More/Less diagnostic and all lights and all segments of the LED display activate.  Pressing each button in turn turns the respective banks of lights off and repressing them turns the banks back on.  Turing the dial turns the automatic mode lights off but once I turn the dial to the manual modes the drum starts and then stops turning about one cycle per second.

Outside of the diagnostic mode, pressing the Control On button immediately causes the Wet, Less, and Quick Dry lights to dimly light.  Holding the Control On button for 3 seconds does engage the control lock light, and holding it a further 3 seconds disengages the control lock light.

Hopefully this is enough information for you to recommend a next step to me.  Obviously this fault is too obscure to be covered in any repair manual that I can find.  I anticipate needing to replace one or more components and I am fairly comfortable in doing so myself, but I obviously want to isolate the correct component(s).

Thanks,
Chris

Answer
Worked on a lot of those over the years but have never came across the symptoms you describe.  Since your touchpad is working, the only other control in your unit is the electronic control part number 8546219.  Cost is high.  209.95 which include a 35.00 core charge.  This means when you send your core back to us, we forward it back to the manufacture and they credit us 35.00 and then we credit your credit card the same 35.00.  Before ordering from anyone, unplug the unit overnight and then try it.  If that does not work, remove all the connections from the electronic control one at a time and then re-seat them firmly back into their respective positions.  Try this and let me know if I can help further.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion