Major Appliances/Evaporator is freezing

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

GE refrigerator side by side with ice and water in the door.

Model #GSS22WGPD WW serial # FG203847 as read from the sticker inside the fridge

The refrigerator and its contents were seen to be warm while the freezer side appeared to operating normally. This happened before (cold freezer/warm fridge) several months ago and was rectified by using a compressor and a 150psi airline to blow out debris from the condenser coil which appeared successful until now. During my inspection upon removing the evaporator cover I noticed that the coils were iced up, no surprise there. The defrost heater was replaced about two years ago and appears to be functioning correctly, it glowed red when the evap coils were frozen up and stopped when they had de-frosted. After I plugged it back in the the evaporator began to ice up almost immediately, I also noticed the condenser fan has three wires so I assume it is a two speed fan yet it only spins slowly. Would you agree that it seems like a lack of airflow across the condenser causing this and would you favor replacement of the fan or the control board? I look forward to hearing back from you soon. Regards Paul

If the fan turns at all, it is most likely good.  It is a variable speed controlled by the motherboard in the back, part number WR55X10942, cost of new from us is $139.95, shipping in the USA would be $8.95.   I would say the board is bad, it controls the fan speeds and is usually the culprit.  (90 percent of the time)  Thank you, Ann

Should you choose to order, follow this link to our website where you can scroll down and fill out the secure order form to process your order.  If you have any problems, concerns or need further information, feel free to reply to this email or for Parts Order Only, call 570-622-6441.  Keep in mind ordering through us helps continue this free on-line help available for you and many others.  Help those that help you.  

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric & Ann Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business