Major Appliances/Maytag PAV1000 Won't Spin for All Modes

Question
QUESTION: My Maytag PAV1000 won't spin in the "Permanent Press" and "Regular" modes, but will spin in the "Knits & Delicates" mode.  Is this a control knob problem?

ANSWER: You have a two speed motor in that unit.  What happens...can you hear the motor tuning when you put it in any other cycle than delicate?  It would be a motor or timer problem.  

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: All functions except Spin work in the "Permanent Press" and "Regular" modes.  All functions, including Spin, work in the "Knits & Delicates" mode.  When either of the two "Spin" positions are selected in the "Permanent Press" or "Regular" modes, nothing happens - no motor sounds, no noise at all.

ANSWER: At this point I would be looking at the timer.  I think you have a set of burnt contacts in the timer not sending power to the motor on its high speed.  Since this is the selection that is used most, it is the one that is more prone to failure.  You did not supply the last three digits of your modle number so I cannot take a closer look at your unit and the timer that is supports.  Please supply this information....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

QUESTION: Sorry to take so long responding.  Just got the extra info from my mother-in-law (it's her washer :-)).

Full Model No. is PAV1000AWW

Answer
Since it is your mothers washer you will have to go there to look at the timer.  There is not any magic buttons to push and make the repair.  If I were to long distant guess, I would say the timer is the problem...unless one of the windings in the drive motor has failed and the timer is sending power to the motor windings but not turning, it is the motor.  Voltage checks are necessary at this time.  Are you capable of doing this?  Eric

Major Appliances

Eric Campion