Major Appliances/WCSE4160B1WW

Question
I have a GE washer model # WCSE4160B1WW. I bought this washer new in 2002. I have replaced the drive belt 3 times.
Today, after running 2 loads of wash as normal, the washer started making noises during the middle of the 3rd load. The sound is like the motor engages and disengages rapidly. This only happens during the wash (agitate) cycles.
I pulled off the front cover and examined the drive belt as I have before. I found it to be worn and stretched out. Bought and installed new belt, but didn't fix the problem.

The washer will fill and drain just fine. The quick rinse cycle and the spin only cycles work as they should.
All wash cycles start like normal but after a few minutes the noise starts. After examining the washer in operation with the front cover removed, the motor actually starts and stops. I noticed blue arcs as if something was shorting out everytime the motor kicks in.

I'm wondering if the motor is shot, or if the control board bad?

Answer
Actually, I found a third item that could be a problem over the years.  The magnetic lid switch.  Jump this out for testing purpose only and let me know if the motor starts and stops.  It is simply a relay problem.  Finding which one is the problem.  Let me know what you find with the lid switch assembly...

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion