Major Appliances/How to wire stove?

I just bought a new Whirlpool stove with the glass top. My old stove had four wires and was hard wired in. I only have three wires coming out of the wall. I decided to buy a new power cord and receptacle with four wires. I can wire the stove but not sure how to wire the receptacle. It has four contacts and I only have three wires. Can I use this or do I have to get a three wire receptacle?

Thank you for your help!

Nothing much different when wiring 3 or 4 prong outlets.  If you have three wire coming out your wall, wire in a three prong outlet and then have a three prong cord.  White to L2 and black to L1....neutral and or Ground to the middle terminal.....  If I can help further, I am here.....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business