Major Appliances/Big mistake: drain backup into dishwasher

Big mistake: I plunged a stopped-up kitchen sink drain and the water backed up into the dishwasher, bigtime. Now the dishwasher - a Gaggenau GI 936-760 - doesn't fill. When I switch it on I can hear it trying to start - I don't know if it's in a quick drain cycle or attempting to fill, but no water enters.

Someone suggested the float switch as the likely repair target. Does that make sense? If yes, what do I do and how do I do it?  Would the switch have to be reset or replaced? Can I access said switch without pulling the unit out of the cabinetry? Or do I dial up a service guy who surely knows a lot more than I do?

Or is there something else I can try?

Thanks a lot for any wise counsel.

Sorry....I do not work on the brand name Gaggenau so I am not familiar with it's operation.  I do know with what you said, before I would purchase any parts, I would disassemble the drain pump and circulating pump and check for obstructions.  Do this and let me know what you find.  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business