Major Appliances/dryer MDE4806AYW

Question
The dryer doesn't heat. I have checked all through the circuit and have a continuous circuit from the relay on the main board up to the motor. Will a bad centifugal switch on the motor cause the heater to not work? The motor itself turns, but I note that there are two separate switches in the assembly. Also, is the switch replaceable without motor being replaced?

Answer
That centrifugal does indeed close the circuit for the L-2 line of the heating element.  It is a safety so that if the motor fails and shuts down, the heating element will go off.  This switch rarely goes bad.  Just because the circuit has continuity does not mean there is voltage passing from the control board relay.  Normally what I do is remove both wires from the heating element and then isolate them from touching metal.  Fire the unit up and with a voltage meter, measure from neutral to one of these wires.  Should read 110 volts.  Now the other wire.... it too should read 110 volts.  One of these do not if you do not have heat.  That is the circuit that needs to be checked.  Which circuit is it?  I can probably come up with a motor switch if needed.  There is no part number listed in the look-up for that item.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion