Major Appliances/Dryer won't cool down

Question
Hi Eric...I have a Kenmore gas dryer (about 12 yrs old) that suddenly won't cool down.  Never ever had any problems w/ it until now.  It just keeps getting hotter & hotter, even during the cool down cycle. I thought the house was on fire the other day but found out the "smoke" that filled the rooms was steam!  Since then I've unplugged it & am afraid to use it.  Is it repairable or is it time to replace it?  Thanks so so much for your time.

Answer
Hello Debbie,
         Sounds like you have a shorted heating element or a wire burnt shorting past operating and safety thermostats.  This would supply voltage to the gas valve assembly constantly, thus overheating.  It is difficult to help with a problem like this without actually being there.  Care to buy me a plan ticket?  Just kidding.  The unit will have to be taken apart and check for a short.  If not familiar with disassembly or the use of a voltage meter, I would call in a professional to check the unit.  Kenmore 12 years ago was built by Whirlpool which is a very good unit.  Might consider having someone look at it for you.  IUf I can help further.....    

Eric

Major Appliances

Eric Campion