Major Appliances/Dryer won't cool down

Hi Eric...I have a Kenmore gas dryer (about 12 yrs old) that suddenly won't cool down.  Never ever had any problems w/ it until now.  It just keeps getting hotter & hotter, even during the cool down cycle. I thought the house was on fire the other day but found out the "smoke" that filled the rooms was steam!  Since then I've unplugged it & am afraid to use it.  Is it repairable or is it time to replace it?  Thanks so so much for your time.

Hello Debbie,
         Sounds like you have a shorted heating element or a wire burnt shorting past operating and safety thermostats.  This would supply voltage to the gas valve assembly constantly, thus overheating.  It is difficult to help with a problem like this without actually being there.  Care to buy me a plan ticket?  Just kidding.  The unit will have to be taken apart and check for a short.  If not familiar with disassembly or the use of a voltage meter, I would call in a professional to check the unit.  Kenmore 12 years ago was built by Whirlpool which is a very good unit.  Might consider having someone look at it for you.  IUf I can help further.....    

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business