Major Appliances/GE washing machine

Question
thank you so much first of all for any help you can give me. We have a GE clothes washer model WJRR4170E1WW. One common issue it has is that after water has drained from a wash cycle,the motor will kick in to start the spin but only rotates drum maybe 5 to 10 times then stops. It then does the same thing two more times then finally on the third time it spins out the wet clothes fine. Ususally after the first cycle of a wash, it will drain and then start spinning good and fast but with the front off you can just see the white soap climb up the outer tub and not get pulled out by pump. So then it fills for a second time but the refill of water pushes the suds up and some can come out the overflow tube near the back left of the washer cabinet. I am guessing that the timer or maybe some kind of relay is bad. Please let me know what you thing the problem may be. Thank you again so much for any help and thank you for allowing us out here in the public to ask you questions...

Answer
First of all the unit you have should drain to a very low level prior to spinning.  Do me a favor and using hot water, start a fresh cycle without and clothing or soap in the unit and  run for the smallest amount of time you can...6 minutes?  After about three....open the lid.  Do you see a lot of suds in there?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion