Major Appliances/GE Profile Dishwaher Making Humming Noise

QUESTION: I have a 6 month old GE Profile dishwasher with top controls that has always been very quiet. Now it has started making a humming type noise during the wash cycle. Is this normal or should I have it looked at? I don't remember it making this noise in the past. I ran it full of dishes today and first thought maybe the dishes were rattling it, so I ran it tonight with just a few dishes and still hearing the noise.

ANSWER: Probably got something rubbing the pump impeller.   If motor is humming...unit would not circulate water.  Is it washing the dishes....   

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Yes , I can hear water circulating and the dishes are being washed.  Since that is the case, would this be a normal noise?

That tells me the motor is most likely good and not going out.  I would suspect something down in the impeller and as it is spinning extremely fast....the noise is caused by this.  Only way to check is to tear the unit down from the inside of the dishwasher.  Please supply the exact model number if you require further assistance.  Eric  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business