Major Appliances/grating noise

Question
QUESTION: hello   I have a Whirlpool washer which works fine, except for
excessive vibration during the spin dry cycle.  Leveling does not seem to help.  An on and off grating sound can be heard at times.
A ring just below the top ring of the tub is wearing away at
the top ring.  What is the purpose of this lower ring, and should it be floating or held in place ?  Good luck with this one.
 Any suggestions would be welcomed.   Thank you,  ed

ANSWER: Whirlpool produced many different systems so I need your model number to see what system you have to offer advice.   One of the pads down in the suspension maybe be broken causing the vibration, but without that model number I cannot tell if yours even has the pads.   Please supply that so we can continue and try and help you.  Thank you

two top rings
two top rings  
QUESTION: Mr. Campion :  As best i can make out, the washer is model 6040XTWO,
Stylemaster  4213631.  Thank you,  ed

ANSWER: Hello Eddie,
         Thanks for your response.  The model number you have submitted to us is incomplete or not correct for your unit.  In order for us to provide you accurate information and supply you with the correct manufactures part numbers , we will need the complete model number, serial number and batch or series numbers (if applicable) found on a business card size metal/foil plate.  There are no Whirlpool units that begin with numbers.  While your information does look like an ending of a model number, I need the letters in front to properly identify your unit.  If you are having difficulty locating this identification label, follow this link which will take you to our Website where we have pictures of common locations where your model number ID label can be found.  Here is the link:  http://www.affordableappliance.com/Tips/modelnumbers.htm   Once you have the updated information, please reply to this email.  Eric Campion

QUESTION: tried to clean the plate;  model no.  LA 6040XTWO.
Hope this helps.  thank you,  ed

Answer
The top balance ring attached to the top of the washing machine inner tub seems to have come loose.  It should be securely attached to the top lip of the outer spin basket.  If you can move this top ring with the basket stationary, the noise is coming from here.  LEt me know and I will instruct further....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion