Major Appliances/Kenmore 80 series won't agitate

QUESTION: Hi my kenmore 80 mod 110.29842990 ser# cj0309376 won't agitate, it fills, then spins. while it is supposed to be agitating it the lower part of the center agitator thingy is going back and forth, but the upper part isn't. If I press down on the center part it kinda works.

ANSWER: Sounds like the agitator dogs are defective.  Cost is 9.95 for a set of four.....  We can help with the install if needed.  Part number is 80040....  Should you choose to order, follow this link to our website where you can scroll down and fill out the secure order form to process your order.  If you have any problems, concerns or need further information, feel free to reply to this email or for Parts Order Only, call 570-622-6441.  Keep in mind ordering through us helps continue this free on-line help available for you and many others.  Help those that help you.  

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric & Ann Campion

QUESTION: Thanks, I will order the part from you guys.
FOLLOW UP QUESTION: I figured that was what the problem was. I went ahead and removed the fabic softener top piece. Now there is a solid white plactic cap over the area I will need to access the agitator dogs. Any idea how I remove this cap?

ANSWER: Yep......pull up on the handle on the cap.  It will pull right out.  We can ship today if ordering by 3:00 pm.....Eastern Standard Time.  Thanks, Eric

QUESTION: Ohhh Kaaay....There is no handle. The center part (agitator) is like a 3 inch PVC pipe and is capped with a PVC cover that fits over the pipe about a half inch. Can't really even get a grip on this cap (kinda slippery). There is no screw hole, no slot, no handle, just the slightly raised dome of the PVC cap.

I have attached a diagram of your agitator according to the model number you provided.  The top cap item number one pops off.  If you look closely, there is normally a little slot around the top rim where you can insert a flat bladed screw driver and twist.  This will release the top, if you look straight down you will see a bolt, item number 2 in the diagram.  Remove this bolt with a long extension on a socket wrench.  I believe this size will be a 7/16 inch socket.  Once removed, you will be able to lift the agitator right out of the inner tub.  Once you get to this step, let me know and I will instruct further when you have the agitator dogs in hand.  

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business