Major Appliances/TROUBLE MAINTAINING OVEN TEMPERATURE

Question
I own a vintage Gaffers Sattler gas range.  I am not certain of the year manufactured or its model number.  When baking, the recipe calls for the oven to preheat to a designated temperature for a given time.  When I put the food into the oven, the temperature rises.

For example, a recipe may call for the oven to be pre-heated to 400 degrees for 20 minutes. To reach 400, I have to set the oven temperature knob at 475.  The oven will heat to 400 with no problem and remain there.  Once the food is placed in the oven, the temperature rises from 400 to around 500 degrees.  I refer to an oven thermometer which hangs from the rack to give me the temperature.

What I have noticed is that the oven will rise to the set temperature, in this case 475, once the food is place in the oven.  If I lower the temperature to 400, which is what the recipe calls for, the oven temperature keeps dropping, well below 400.  Any information that you can provide to correct this will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Answer
Sure sounds like the thermostat is inconsistent and needs replaced.  That is a very old unit and it will be difficult to find.  Gonna need a model number along with ALL the numbers off the thermostat itself.  Is this possible?  If not, you will have to go local and find an appliance service company to help you find these numbers.  Let em know if I can help further....    Eric

Major Appliances

Eric Campion