Major Appliances/Kenmore Microwave

I have a 6 year old Kenmore 1050 Watt range microwave oven (Model #85420) that I love. It has been very dependable but it has thrice had the magnetron humming when I close the door after use. I have been able to correct the problem by unplugging and reattaching the wire clips on the control panel.
That was not the case this last time and I was wondering what the issue might be and if I can possibly correct the problem by replacing a part. Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks,

When you have a high voltage humm, normally the problem is with the high voltage system....Magnetron tube, transformer, high voltage capacitor or high voltage diode.  If I were coming to look at this unit, I would first take the unit off the wall.  Remove outer shell and check the items I mentioned above.  Do you have a voltage meter and know how to use it.  Do you know how to discharge a capacitor?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business