Major Appliances/KitchenAid Microwave- Model: KHMS2040BSS-0

Hello Eric,

I am a homeowner rebuilding in NJ after Sandy, I am also a Mechanical Engineer so I would say I have a little more working knowledge than the average homeowner.  We have purchased a KitchenAid Microwave- Model: KHMS2040BSS-0 oven and are placing it in an undercabinet location not above a range just to save counterspace.  The dimensions of this microwave also fit perfectly the specs of the space intended.  It contains a dual axial exhaust blower that comes with a default position towards the door with internal ducting that discharges forward and up above the door.  It works fine in this capacity and there is no interference from the cabinets  The instructions also include options for positioning the blower for Wall Venting or Roof Venting to ductwork.  My question is since I am not using the exhaust feature contained within this unit, is this fan necessary or does it also double for oven component cooling?  This blower is rather noisy and if not necessary I would prefer to disconnect and remove.  I contacted KitchenAid online Live Assistance directly but they gave me the generic response that they do not support that recommendation and said they are not technicians and could not answer weather the blower is necessary for my application.  This is what led me to

Many thanks,
Chris DeFonce

Yes, you can disable it and remove it if you would like to.  There is a separate fan to cool the magnetron tube.  The internal blower is for exhaust only.  I hope this answers your questions.  If I can help further, I am just a click away.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

PS Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us if any needed. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business