Major Appliances/Evaporator fan does not run

I have a freezer-less fridge Kenmore 253.60722008 that has sat in storage for the last year. Moved it across country and plugged it in. Noticed that things were not getting cold in the upper portion of the fridge  but icing up at the bottom.

While waiting to the compressor to cool, I removed the internal cover the hides the cooling coils. Got the compressor to turn on, and the evaporator fan did not spin. This blows cold air into a channel up the back that gets cooling to the top. Root cause found!

Thought I needed a new fan. However, when I disconnect the wiring harness, none of the 3 leads show any volts AC going to the fan. Now I am not sure if the problem is the fan or some relay that provides its power.

Any advice greatly appreciated. There's some kind of knob on the back of the fridge that seems to cycle things as well (defrost timer?). Can't find the manual.

I can seem to find a wiring diagram for that unit easily and if I were there, I would make sure the door light switch is fully depressed.  Some units, when opening the door shut down the evaporator fan motor.  Duct tape the door light switch closed and test again.  Let us know what you find.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business