Major Appliances/Kenmore side by side troubles

QUESTION: Greetings!  I have a Sears Kenmore Elite Side-by-side model 253.55693402 and I have two problems that ?may? be related to each other... First, the ice maker seems to fill too high with water. When the ice freezes and expands it is high enough to freeze to the white finger bar. When the bar rotates to push out the ice it only gets halfway and then stops because the ice is frozen to the top of the bar. I snap it off by hand and the rest of the cycle works fine. How can I reduce the amount of water going into the tray at fill time, or is that even the problem?  Second, I have both freezer and fridge dials set well below 1, yet the freezer freezes and the fridge is at 32-34 degrees all the time.  How can I get my dials back to normal so that I have a range to adjust them?

ANSWER: The freezer control thermostat is part number 5304421067 and your cost through us is 95.95.  This controls how cold the freezer is getting.  This means colder air is going into the fresh food all the time.  Your ice maker could be a victim of too cold a freezer.  Did these both happen at or around the same time?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Two things... first, both sides have issues with their dials. Both the fridge and freezer are set between 0 - 1, but the temp in the freezer is 0 degrees and the fridge is 32-34 degrees. Does that mean I need to replace two thermostat controls?  And second, I don't see how a cold freezer would cause too much water in the tray. Is there o way to decrease the amount of water that fills the tray using a water line valve somewhere?

ANSWER: The cubes it is making.....Are they hollow?  IF so this is what I expect....  LEt me know....    Eric

QUESTION: Not at all, they are solid and huge, large enough to touch the finger bar and freeze to it. Is there a valve that's used to control how much water fills the tray, or is there some sensor that tells it there's enough water in the tray, or...?

According to the original look-up from what I can tell without actually seeing your ice maker...Remove the front cover...There is an adjustment screw that has signs indicating (+ -)...turn the screw one revolution toward the minus if applicable.  If it does not have this adjustment screw, let me knwo and I will instruct further....  Eric

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business