Major Appliances/life span of a dryer

Question
WHAT IS THE LIFE SPAN OF THE AVERAGE DRYER?
I have a Maytag "atlantis" dryer which i bought in july 2001.  So it will be 12 years old next month.  We have been using it all that time 2 or 3 times a week ever since.  It still runs,  it still generates heat.  But over the last year, my wife has been complaining that the dryer has been taking longer and longer time to dry the same basic load of stuff.  Is there any test (heating elements, perhaps?) i can perform to find out if something is wearing out, or needs to be replaced?  or is it  nearing the end of its natural life span and is it simply  time to buy another dryer?  Thanks in advance.

Answer
Most often, if you are experiencing long dry times, it is in the venting system.  This could be in your home or in the air flow system in your dryer.  Heating elements are light light bulbs.  They either work or they do not.  I would take the unit apart and vacuum well.....in addition, clean the entire in home venting system.  Run the unit and let me know how must better your unit works.  Keep it as long as you can.  The unit you have is a well built dryer you cannot purchase that quality anymore.....

Good Luck,
Eric  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion