Major Appliances/Microwave

QUESTION: Samsung smh7174we
All functions work, but it is not heating.

ANSWER: This is a troubleshooting problem that must be tested before offering additional advice.  First thing that needs to be confirmed is whether or not there is 110 volts at the high voltage transformer when unit should be cooking.  This will be the determination whether the problem is with the low voltage or the high voltage.  Once known we can go to the appropriate circuit.  Do you have a voltage meter and know how to use it.  Do you know how to discharge a capacitor?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: I do have a voltage meter and know how to use it. I can discharge a capacitor.

ANSWER: Find the two input terminals coming from the control board to the high voltage transformer.  Start the unit and tell me if you have 110 volts at these two terminals to fire up the high voltage system.

QUESTION: Hi Eric, before I pull this apart, I have priced some microwaves and they aren't too bad. What kind of range in parts prices are we talking about? If the part cost half of a new one, I might as well get a new microwave.

I am not sure on Samsung products.  I have over a half million parts in stock and none for Samsung or LG.  They just are too difficult to get parts for and tech support is minimal.  When you finally get tech speak with 1st step techs.  I would probable put my money in a popular brand GE, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, Maytag, etc rather than put a dime in one of the brands mentioned above.  If a tube, I would venture to guess over a hundred.  Transformer even more.  Cap and diode are much less.  Good Luck in your decision.  Eric

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business