Major Appliances/Tappan 8" Electric Burner fail (1966)

20 years ago, I bought a house built in 1966. The stove top, vent hood and separate oven are all Tappan brand. When we moved in, one burner was not working and the indicator light (when any burner was in use) was out. A local service man came in, replaced a control knob and begged off from replacing the indicator light.
20 years later, the house is now our rental property. After cleaning the stove top, my wife had switched two of the rear burners and apparantly disconnected the main 8 inch left front electric burner.
Lifting the top, it is apparant that the electric wire that should attach to the burner is broken. The center ground wire appears to be frayed but still intact. The other end of the burner is still connected to the feed wire.

Should I attempt to repare this? I have a healthy fear of 220 volts, but a knowledge of electronics, a pencil soldering iron and a soldering gun. I had hoped to find a pigtail to apply a ceramic wire nut to hold two wires together, but there is nothing left at the burner's end to wind to. Should I attempt a solder job? I have solder paste.
Note: None of the burners have quick disconnect sockets...all apear to be hard wired to the wiring. At least one has an obvious splice job with electrical tape wrapped around some wire nut inside.
ANY advice would be helpful. I can't find ceramic wire nuts locally, and will have to special order or go via Ebay. Thanks!

Do you burners simply plug into a receptacle and this is where the wire is burnt off?  Got a model number of this unit.  In order for us to provide you accurate information and supply you with the correct manufactures part numbers , we will need the complete model number, serial number and batch or series numbers (if applicable) found on a business card size metal/foil plate.  If you are having difficulty locating this identification label, follow this link which will take you to our Website where we have pictures of common locations where your model number ID label can be found.  Here is the link:   Once you have the updated information, please reply to this email.  Eric Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business