Major Appliances/Whirlpool gas dryer suddenly stops after it starts

Question
QUESTION: My whirlpool gas dryer has suddenly decided it doesn't want to work anymore. We've had it for about 6 years now. We started it up with a load of clothes and it turned on for about 15 seconds and then shut off. We took the clothes out thinking they were too heavy and it did the same thing without the clothes in their. We do smell a burnt smell too. Not sure what is causing the issue. We've tried tripping the breaker, still does the same thing. We also tried unplugging and plugging back in, still does the same thing. Would someone please be able to help?
Make: Whirlpool
Model: WGD5540SQ0
Serial #: MT5009509

ANSWER: That's just a plain ole dryer....nothing fancy...no electronics or thermistors...The unit shuts down entirely?  Can you stand there and wait for it to shut down and then start it right back up or do you have to wait a little while for something to cool down?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Yes, it's just a plain old dryer. Wish I had a digital one some days! I went down and started it up...it did it's run for the 10-15 seconds then shut off. I tried starting it back up and it didn't turn back on. I unplugged it for 30 seconds, plugged it back in and tried to start it up and it still didn't turn back on. So I'm thinking I need to let something cool before it will start again. Also, the start button seems like it's sticking a little too.

Thanks,
Amanda

Answer
If you are going to repair this yourself, I would take a look at the motor first.  Pull the unit apart and see if there is a buildup of lint in and around the motor.  Let me know what you find....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion