Major Appliances/Jenn-Air A122 cartridge - both switches only turn on one burner

Question
Hello, and thanks in advance.

I had a burner die in my Jenn-Air A122 cartridge.  I ordered a replacement burner and installed it, but when putting the cartridge cover back on, must have moved something because metal touched metal and there were sparks flying around inside for a couple of seconds.  After reassembly, the new burner wasn't working.  So I replaced the burner again (large one).  Now, when I turn on either switch, only one (the small) burner comes on.  The large burner doesn't come on with either switch.  I just swapped the cartridge and the grill.  The grill cartridge works normally on either side of the stove.  Now, when I plugged the A122 into the other side, the small burner works normally, as it always had.  But the large burner doesn't work at all.  I won't swear to this, but it almost feels like if I turn the large burner switch on, the small burner tries to heat up, just a tiny tiny bit (though I could be imagining that....).  I just swapped the A122 back to it's regular side, and that is what's happening again.  Could I have fried another component in the A122 that I need to replace?  Or am I having exceptionally bad luck with burners?  The new burner is not a 100% exact replacement -- the terminal block next to the burner had 4 blades instead of 2, one of which was jumpered to another block.  So I just connected the wire to the blade that was closest to what the old one looked like, and left the 2 blades on the other side of the terminal empty.  Sorry, I know it's a long read, but wanted to fully describe the issue.  Thanks so much for your help!

Answer
First thing I would do is take the cartridge apart again and make sure it is wired correctly.  You can compare it to the one you have that does work.  Once you are certain, begin measuring voltage at the terminals where your cartridge plugs into comparing to the side that does work.  You most likely shorted out one of the burner infinite switches.  If I can help further, I am here....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion