Major Appliances/Washer won't drain or spin

Question
QUESTION: I have a Kenmore front load washer model #41748102701.  It stopped draining and spinning.  I ran diagnostics and got code  E56.  This said to check the belt and bearings, and they were fine.  The other problems could be the control board or the motor.  I had a new control board on hand and changed it, not the problem.  New motor is not the problem.  Checked the drain trap, it was clogged. (Upset Sears didn't tell me to do this first of all, or even clean it out for maintenance) Still didn't run, and replaced the water pump.  It still won't run.  the only other thing is the door lock, but it tests out fine, locks and unlocks great in diagnostic tests.  What is wrong????

ANSWER: You seem mechanical enough..pull the door interlock and take it apart.  Apply 110 volt to the wax motor and it will move slowly....very slowly until it fully extends.  The switch itself has four independent switches.  and the door lock light is just one of them.  Check for continuity on the coil.  Follow the leads to the terminals and check for resistance.  What is this resistance?  Let us know what you find.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: This testing is pretty much beyond my knowledge, but I pulled it apart, and the big, two-pronged part read about 1400 ohms, and the two terminals that hook into the coil read at 1000.  All the others seem dead.

Answer
Did you apply 110 volts to the wax motor on the locking mechanism?  If so, did the plunger extend far enough to close the first set of contacts?  The unit will not spin with water in it.  Make up a jumper and remove the two wires going to the pump and then make a jumper and apply 110 volts directly to the pump yourself.  Did the water drain out?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion