Major Appliances/Dryer cord/receptacle issue

Question
Hello,

I recently moved into a rental home which was build in the 80's and the utility room has a 3 straight prong receptacle (50 amps which I found out is a receptacle for a range?).  My dryer (whirlpool made in 2006) is a newer model and has a 4 prong total (nema 14 30) with 2 straight prongs, a circle prong, and an L shape prong.  I have seen a few suggestions for fixing this problem such as buying a range cord to connect to the dryer or changing the receptacle to the correct 4 prong outlet.  I know there are some concerns with this type of fix because of the different wiring between the two appliances.  If you could give me the best course or action?  Should I call the property manager to see if they want to hire an electrician to do the job?

Answer
Since you already have a four prong cord, I would purchase a four prong wall receptacle and install it.  The one you have is for a range but the Safety is int he size of the breaker.  Check your home panel box and take note of the size of the breaker.  It should be a 30 amp breaker.  Period.  If higher, the proper safety is not there.  check these items and then contact your landlord with with these safety concerns.  

Good Luck, Eric  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion