Major Appliances/Freezer doors pops open when close fridge

Daughter has LG s/s, 26 cu ft, Mod: LRSC26930TT; Ser: 404KRVQ00463.
When close fridge door, freezer door pops open just slightly and will not re-close by itself; If I close fridge door slowly & easily, the freezer does not open; but if close fridge door normally, freezer does open. Not sure of age; she’s had it long time.

Appliance is level, both front to back and across. Used a level to check it.
Seals on both doors appear to be very good; not hard or cracked; still soft/pliable and not dislodged;

Putting a piece of paper in the doors when close them, paper did not slide and did have resistance to remove when checked in several places on each door;
I checked to make sure no items in freezer is keeping door from closing.
Looked at hinges and they appear to be OK; nothing loose, hanging-up, making noise, etc.
I put a lantern in freezer and closed door but did not see any light around the seal.

If open either door 3-4 inches and release, the doors swing toward closing but neither door will close by itself; but if I open either door about 5-6 inches and release toward closing, both do close by themselves.

She has 4 kids so trying to get them all to close the fridge slowly/easily won’t work.

Any ideas?

This normally happens on larger units that have a lot of air volume in the compartments.  First thing I would do if called out to repair the unit is to clean the doors gaskets with a hot mild soap solution.  Next, I would adjust the leveling legs so when opening the doors half way, letting go of the refrigerator door, it would close by itself.  If it does not, keep working on it until they do.  Finally, I would take a hair dryer and soften both the refrigerator and freezer door gaskets and shut them for about 1/2 hour so the door gaskets re-seat themselves with the cold air within the cavities.  Try this and let us know how you made out.  If I can help further, I am here....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business