Major Appliances/No low agitation washing machine

QUESTION: My Whirlpool Model LSW9750PW3 top load washing machine fills with water and agitates on high agitation.  It will drain and spin, but when it changes to low agitation it begins making a loud noise and although it agitates, it stops and there is a strong electrical smell.  The motor has overheated, apparently, because after a short while the washer will turn on again, manually.  I have replaced the timer and looked at the coupler and it looks to be in place, but do not know where to go from here. Can you help.

ANSWER: Try changing your cycle speed selector knob to a different setting and try it again.  Let me know what happens...if anything.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: If by changing speed you mean change to other setting, casual or delicates, yes these work, except for the agitation.  After water fills, the timer advances and the agitation begins, but with a loud noise.  If I let it keep going I begin to smell a strong electrical or burning smell.  I then stop the machine and advance the timer and it drains and spins and refills.  The high speed agitation does work, if it is next in sequence.

ANSWER: I am not speaking of the timer assembly...the main control, I am speaking of one of the smaller knobs to the left of the large one and it will have the words cycle selection or motor speeds listed on the control....  Is this the knob you are speaking of....

QUESTION: No sir there is no cycle selection or motor speed on the controls.  First to left is Extra Rinse, next Cycle Signal, next Wash Temperature, next Load Size.

I realize that now.  The cycle switch as in the look-up is a cycle signal switch rather than what I thought.  On the casual cycle there is a low spin and then a little further there is just a spin.  Set your timer dial to first the low spin and start the machine.  What happens?  Next go to the lower spin cycle abd do the same.  What Happens ?

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business