Major Appliances/really old oven gives off really foul odor
QUESTION: The oven of my very old gas stove has always - since I've owned it - had what I take to be incomplete combustion: The flame is wavier than it should be, I think, and with too much orange, and the odor is unbearable. This happens only when the oven is working to reach temperature. When it dials back to maintenance mode as temperature is reached, the flame improves and the odor pretty much goes away. If I raise the thermostat setting, the odor returns.
I've cleaned the oven burner as best I can. Could the symptom indicate too much or too little air? I did try adjusting the air intake but that doesn't seem to be the issue.
This unit was converted from natural gas to propane. Is it possible that when that was done the wrong size orifice was installed?
Or is there somewhere else I should be looking for the answer?
Advance thanks very much for any good suggestion.
ANSWER: The conversion from natural to propane could have a bearing on the odor.....as if not properly adjusted the flame is either too high cause the metal flame spreader to overheat or to low causing gas to escape. First thing I need to know if the brand and model number. Supply this and I will take a closer look at your unit.
Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion
P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales. Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com
or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441
[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------
QUESTION: It's a Glenwood Duplex (no model number) from 1934. Believe it or not. I believe it has two levels of flame: when reaching for the thermometer setting and a maintenance level, a high and a low. The bad odor seems to come when it's at the high-flame level. At least that's how it seems.
Thanks for the picture....I think I am going to have to request you call in your local appliance service company to take a look at that unit. Be sure they have an old timer to check your unit for proper operation. You surely do not want to use it if emitting dangerous carbon monoxide. Good Luck, Eric