Major Appliances/White Westinghouse Top-load Washer won't spin or agitate.

Question
QUESTION: I had to replace the belt on my White Westinghouse washer (model MWX433REW2) a few months ago. Now it won't agitate or spin.  The water pumps in and drains properly and there aren't any leaks. The lid seems to be engaging okay because when it's on a spin cycle, I'll gently try to lift the lid but find that it is engaged.

ANSWER: A few things that come to mind.....Have you taken the front and actually observed the operation of the system?  Is the belt still good?  Is the motor actually running?  Your unit has an electric drain pump and it will fill and drain without a belt.  Did you replace the belt or have a service company do this?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

latch
latch  
bottom of washer
bottom of washer  
QUESTION: Yes, I was the one that replaced the belt. I ordered it from Sears using the part number from the broken belt. It was fairly simply to install. It worked for probably a month before it stopped working. I did as you suggested and took the front off to watch it operate. It actually agitated well and then after the agitate cycle but before the rinse cycle, it pauses for a while, and then the latch engages, the pump starts to work, the belt attempts to turn and then it immediately stops.  Then the latch disengages for a while, engages, the pump turns on for a second, belt attempts to turn and everything stops again and then the latch slowly disengages. I did notice that when it clicks off, there's a small spark in what I think is the motor?  Not sure. It's the square, black housing that's to the right of the unit that does the agitating. I've included a picture of the latch and a picture of the belt, motor, etc.  Is the latch supposed to engage all the way to the crook of the hook or is the correct position as you see it in the picture; just beyond the tip?

ANSWER: From what I can gather....the unit fills and agitates normally...It does drain via the electric drain pump and then when going into the spin mode is where the problem begins.  My thoughts are one of two situations that may be happening.  First, there is an article of clothing such as a small hankey or sock.  This is restricting the inner basket from spinning.  Because of the lid locking, there is no breaking system on your unit.  Not an easy task to remove the outer tub.  So as an alternative to removing the inner tub, remove the belt from the unit and then set your timer dial to a spin setting.  Turn it on.  Is the motor spinning without the belt attached?

Eric

QUESTION: I forgot to mention that I actually checked inbetween the tubs already. I unhooked the plastic latches all the way around the top of the tubs and then looked inside at the space between the two tubs and didn't see anything. I don't know if this helps you to diagnose but after the washer cycles through with all those pauses (it takes a few hours), and I guess after it's rested, I put it on the final spin cycle and it finished with no problem.  It was pumping and spinning like normal. But it will only finish if it's rested for a few hours. I thought to unplug it and plug it back in but still will only spin if it's rested for a really long time.

Answer
When the motor shuts down and you must wait for an extended period of time, it is the motor overheating and shutting down on thermal overload.  A weak motor winding would cause this or a drag on the tub while spinning.  That is why I requested you remove the belt and see if the motor runs through the entire spin cycle without a load.  When finished, the motor should not be hot at all.....  Is it?

Motor is part number 134172800 and cost is 244.95 + 15.95 shipping, if interested....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion