Major Appliances/Maytag Dryer, Model MDET236AYW

My dryer has stopped heating.  I have checked to dryer vent to make sure it is not blocked.  I have used an Ohm-meter to check the voltage and am getting 240 Volts to the dryer.  Using the Ohm-meter, I then checked the fuse and thermostat to make sure they were not bad.  They do not appear to be bad.  I am able to measure current through both.  I can turn the dryer on and it works, it just does not heat up.  Can you tell me what my problem might be?  Even though the thermostat showed good, could it possibly be stuck which would not allow the dryer to heat up?  I am kind of at a loss.  Please advise?

I did not hear you mention testing the heating element.  Remember...when testing you must remove the wires from either the heating element, thermostats or thermals.  Ohm out the heating element and thermostats again and get me these readings.  If you get continuity or any ohm reading, the unit should heat.  You mentioned reading current through both...current can not normally be measured with a voltage meter simply by stick your probes on the terminals.  You need to put the meter inline with the voltage to read current.  With no heat, there would not be any current in the heating circuit...  Let me know what you find.  

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business