Major Appliances/GE Oven will not reach temp.

Question
QUESTION: I have a GE Spectra range.  Model # JBP24BOB2WH.  When I turn on the oven the lower element gets red hot.  I set it at 400 the lower element gets red but then after maybe a minute or so I hear a click, which sounds like it's coming from the control panel and the element goes off.  Maybe 30 seconds later another click and the element starts to heat up again.  Once glowing red for a minute or so same thing.  So it never even gets close to 400.  I replaced the control panel thinking that was probably it since the element got red.  Now I am wondering if it could be the element and once it heats up and expands somehow the connection is lost.  I would be grateful for any  ideas or help.  Thanks

ANSWER: That is a very good diagnosis and a tough one to diagnose without a voltage meter.  Do you have a voltage meter and know how to use it?  The sensor could be the culprit in the circuit.  When cold it should read approximately 1100 ohms at 72 degrees (Room Temperature) We need to verify where we are losing the power.  You said you replaced the clock/oven control?  Part number should have been WB50T10044.  Is this what you replaced it with.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Thank you for your response.  I have since replaced the element and still have the same symptoms.  I was about to go to the sensor next but didn't know how to test it.  Thank you for the test info.  I think it is the only thing left, would that be correct?  Btw, I do try to buy my appliance parts from you guys.  Usually it's dryer parts.  This lady uses this oven a lot so I don't have the time on this one.  Thanks again.

Answer
Pull the sensor from the circuit and then test the terminals reading ohms.  Should read as above....approximately 1100 ohms at 72 degrees.....   

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion