Major Appliances/GE washer intermittently works

QUESTION: I have a GE washer MOD # WARE5260D1WW, that stops intermittently. After setting the load size and duration, and pushing the start button, sometimes it will start, but almost immediately stop again. If you push the start button again, sometimes it will finish the cycle, other times it will stop again,sometimes immediately and others at some point duration the cycle.It just started acting this way. Hopefully something simple what do you think?

ANSWER: Sounds like a control  issue....It could be a intermitting lid switch assembly also.  Do you have a voltage meter and know how to use it?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: ERIC , Yes I have a voltage meter and know how to use it.I thought it may be some kind of a control issue but exactly where? MY lid switch has a hot feed side that goes to a magnetic connector when the lid is closed the switch tells something it can continue at some point. Any other  advice you can give.

If the inside of your magnetic lid switch is shorting you will get an intermitting problem.  This is a tough one to test as it needs to break contact when the lid opens and closes for the electronic control.  Since the magnetic lid is totally sealed, you can cut one of the wires and strip it back so you can twist it together and take it apart when the load is finished.  This would insure this is not the intermitting problem.  Let me know if I can help further...  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business