Major Appliances/Gumming up inside dishwasher

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

I'm writing on behalf of my girlfriend. Her dishwasher has repeated buildup of a gummy substance.

It's a Hotpoint dishwasher model HDA3400G02BB, bought new some ten years ago. In the past couple of years a grey gummy substance has been building up inside the machine. It causes problems with water flow. I keep cleaning it out but it keeps coming back.

About two years ago she started using liquid detergent, Kirkland brand from Costco. Could that be the problem? What can she do?

Thanks for your time,

Jack

ANSWER: I would be taking a look at the sump and under the rear filter assembly that goes across the rear inside floor of the back wall.  The sump is accessed by removing the cover you see on the floor of the dishwasher.  Simply remove the screws and lift it off.   Look inside or feel inside for any sludge build.  Did you find anything in either of these two areas....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Thanks for your prompt response. I actually cleaned that out about two months ago. There was quite a bit of muck!

The grey gummy substance is collecting on the underside of the rotating spray arm, *inside* the arm (I clean the holes out with a paper clip), over the plastic grill that covers the sump, etc.

I can check the sump again but if there's a need to get out the wrenches and do it every month or so, that's not usual maintenance, right?

Thanks again,

Jack

Answer
Something is causing the plastic/rubber to break down...kinda like deteriorating....  I think I would be looking into the water supply or the type of detergent...Perhaps the water is too hot.  Without actually being there to see what is happening...This should not be a monthly maintenance schedule.  It is difficult to clean the inside of the spray arm.....  I would try to find the reason before doing any more cleaning or replacing any parts.  Wish I was there.....I would really like to see that stuff.....

Good Luck, Eric  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion