Major Appliances/Refrigerator stopping/starting

Question

I had to start a new question because of the limit on follow-ups. I went ahead and bought a clamp meter. When you say to put the meter across the compressor line, where is the line located, or are you talking the black wire on the appliance cord. My meter didn't come with a line splitter, so I built a very small (about 9-12 inch) extension cord with the cabling removed from a section to access the hot wire.

Also, the meter has 40A and 400A options. Should the meter be set to 40A?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------
My refrigerator will come on, and run fine most of the time, but sometimes it will start turning off and on repeatedly. I thought this was happening only when it was starting, but I recently heard it doing it after it had been running for a while.

This happened before, and a week later the refrigerator started getting warm. Someone came out and checked some things, changed the defrost adapter board, and the refrigerator now cools properly, but it is still clicking off and on occasionally.

I replaced the start device today, which came with a new relay and overload, but I kept the old capacitor. What could be the problem with this thing? I thought maybe the new defrost board was bad, but the refrigerator is cooling properly. Can a compressor be bad, and still work very well in cooling?

I have a Kenmore fridge, model 106.57032601.

Thanks

ANSWER: Can you identify where the clicking is coming from?  If you can verify it is actually coming from the compressor, when it does click, is the body of the compressor real hot?  And when you say the unit is working, place a thermometer in the freezer section while the compressor is actually running for about 10 minutes and tell me the actual temperature inside the freezer section....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call

QUESTION: Hi,

The clicking is coming from the control box where the defraust board is. The thermometer is reading a little below zero after 10 minutes while the compressor is running, and reads -15 if I leave it in till the compressor shuts off. The refrigerator is 35 degrees. The freezer and refrigerators are set to the "recommended" temperature setting. Is it possible we bought a bad board that still defrausts/cools, or is it something else?

Thanks

ANSWER: Anything is possible with electronics.  What is the part number of the control board you installed.  Most often when there is a clicking problem, it is the compressor relay clicking and no9t the control.  If the control is verified, it may be defective.  I would put an amp meter across the compressor line and see what the amperage draw is.  Do you have an amp meter....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

QUESTION: The part number was 4388932, and this was something a professional installed, and I think he tested it first, but I'm not sure. I, however, did install the start device myself, which was part 2319792.

Is an amp meter the same as a multimeter? If so, I have this multimeter http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-DM-20-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B000FRQO6C

I don't have a clamp meter or anything like that, but I could look at some at the hardware store.

Thanks

Answer:
You can use your meter.....Set for reading amps.  Since not a clamp on, you will have to split the wire testing from it's source and install the leads from your meter to the wire removed and the source.  meaning the completed circuit goes through your meter.  A clamp on it simple....clamp around the wire you are reading amperage from.  Consult your instruction manual for more detailed instructions....

Answer
Unplug the unit and remove the rear bottom cover.  Next go to the compressor and find the two wires which power it up when needed.  Set your clamp-on amp meter to read 40 amps and then clamp it on one of the wires that supply voltage to the compressor.  Plug it in and read the amperage draw on your meter.  If starting and stopping, you will have to be quick at reading the meter....  Let me know hat this value is.  

Next, remove the relay and overload from the compressor exposing the three pins.  Use your other meter and read ohms going from the single stand along pin to each of the other two side by side.  Get these values and then one final reading, measure the ohms from the two pins side by side and supply this value....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at http://www.affordableappliance.com  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion