Major Appliances/Maytag Dishwasher Noise

Subject dishwasher (Maytag MDB9100AWW) makes a hissing sound when the cleaning cycle starts. It sounds like water hissing through an open valve. It lasts the entire cleaning cycle.
I suspect that it may be a defective solenoid valve.
Can you venture an opinion based on the above description.

ANSWER: If a defective solenoid valve, I would venture to guess the unit would overfill and water would start coming out of the dishwasher onto the floor.  To verify, remove the lower and start a cycle.  After the unit has filled, remove the plug going tot he water inlet solenoid.  The noise should stop.  If you still hear it, try to isolate where the noise is coming from.  Could it be something in the circulating pump assembly making this noise?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Thanks for the usual quick response.....but I need clarification.
What is "....the lower...", and what/where is, "...the plug....."  going to the water inlet solenoid.
Am not familiar with those terms.

Sorry....That should have read lower access panel.  Remove it to gain access to the water inlet valve.  The solenoid your home water supply attaches to is the culprit we are speaking of and want to replace it or eliminate it from being the problem.  There is a two prong plug attaching to this solenoid. When noise starts, unplug this and tell me if the noise stops.

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business