Major Appliances/G.E. Mod. FMC5DMDWH Ser #LG945187

Question
QUESTION: My G.E. freezer of 14 years trips the GFCI breaker on the circuit I plug it into as soon as is made. Is it possible the start relay has failed ? or the overload ?. I read a post from 2009 and you impressed me as the expert to ask. After 14 years, is wiser to shop for another.

ANSWER: First and foremost....Trying plugging in the refrigerator into another non-GFI circuit.  Even if you must use a extension cord.  Make sure it is a heavy duty cord.  I do not recommend using a extension cord to run the unit for an extension period of time but for a few hours it will be okay...as long as it is heavy duty.  Let me know if this resolves your problem. IF not, I will instruct further.  Lets get to the bottom of this one.....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at https://www.affordableappliance.com/  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Good Day,

I plugged the freezer into the non-GFCI and no reaction from the freezer.
The cord I used is an indoor/outdoor heavy duty cord. If I need to purchase
unit, this is perfect for targeting with my Lee-Enfield .303 less the compressor of course.

Answer
Doing further research, Your model number is FCM5DMDWH instead of what you typed?  If so, it's pretty basic.  You plugged in the unit and now nothing.  There are two wires going tot he thermoatat, remove both and jump them out thus bypassing the thermostat.  Next, the relay and over load simply are pushed on to the compressor.  Pull these off and isolate them from contact with metal....using a rag to wrap both individually will work.  Now plug it in.  There should be no sparks.  HA HA....  Unplug the compressor.  IF you have a voltage meter, set to read voltage and insert one probe into the white overload that would slip on to the compressor and insert the other probe into one of the holes in the relay that slips onto the compressor.  Plug the unit back in and tell me the voltage you get.  Unplug the unit again and if you had voltage, put the relay and overload back on the compressor and plug it in one more time.  What happened at this point?  

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion