Major Appliances/Amana wash mach pump.

Question
Hi Eric...I have the pump off an amana washer, model alw880qaw...The washer would leak while emptying wash and rinse cycles so I figured to replace the pump, I figured the if the seal was bad it would leak while full...Have not found any cracks in the pump or visible leaks when I put water in it...But if I put water in it I can get it to leak from the center part where the shaft from the machine goes into it, I can stick a screwdriver in there and spin the impeller and move it around a bit...I guess my ? is should I be able to get water leaking at that spot or do pumps only leak if cracked...Is it possible I could have a seal leak even though the machine does not leak all the time?  Thanks

Answer
Leave the front cover off and run the unit.  It is possible for a machine water drain pump to leak while operating and not while sitting depending on what the position of the seal is in.  If you run the whie with the cover off and grab a bright flashlight you will answer your own question.  This is what I woould do.  If I can helo further, We are here...

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at https://www.affordableappliance.com/  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion