Major Appliances/GE washer no slow speed

Question
Dear Expert,
What can cause a GE washer WKSR2100T lose its Slow speed?
It works fine on Fast, but when I turn the knob to Slow, it may try starting on slow speed, but after a few seconds or even immediately switches to fast speed (I know by the sound and by looking if I open the lid and manually push down on the lid closed switch). I checked the pin-out and the rotary speed selector switch works fine. No broken wires or harnesses. Possibly gears in transmission? How hard would it be to fix myself and how much? The machine is 18 years old.

Answer
Most often you have a two spped motor (which you do) and the low speed is shorted.  I have seen the speed selector switch go bad but you said you checked this.  Your machine has years on it and that motor is very expensive even if you can find it.....Run it on high speed and look for a sale.  There is no rush as you can still use the high speed setting and get the clothing washed.  Good Luck in your decision....  If we can help further....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at https://www.affordableappliance.com/  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion