Major Appliances/Kenmore washer noise during high speed spin

Question
QUESTION: Hi Eric,

First of all, thanks for helping all of us out with our issues, it is very much appreciated.  I have a Kenmore front load washer that is making a weird noise only during the high/medium speed spin cycle.  It sounds like maybe a small rock or two are banging around inside the drum, but I only hear it during high/medium speed spins.  Seems like I would hear the noise even when spinning the tub by hand if it was a foreign item inside the drum but there is no noise at anytime except for higher speed spin cycles.  I have cleaned out the drain in the past and found missing jewelry, various screws and coins, but it's clean now and the noise continues.  It's obvious the washer needs a new belt and I have one on order and will change it soon.  What do you think about the noise issue?  Its a model 110.46472501,  HE2 model, with a serial number of HLT0415764.  Thanks in advance for your help!!!  John

ANSWER: I'd say one or two things could be your problem....First is the drive pulley on the rear where your belt attaches to.  Does it have any play from front to rear?  Next is the spider shaft which attaches to your inner drum and has the shaft that protrudes through the outside of the rear outer tub.  If you look inside the spin basket from the front of the machine, you will see three protruding areas where the spider shaft attaches to the spin tub.  One of these three supports could be cracked and on the verge of breaking off.  I would not open the belt package as if your belt is attached, it is not causing this noise and a new belt will not help.  May as well get your money back on the belt.    Wiggle the inner spin basket up and down in each position of the attachment to the spider shaft.  Do you hear or feel any movement?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at https://www.affordableappliance.com/  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: The pulley on the rear of the unit seems tight, no play up or down or from front to back.  Looking inside the drum from the front of the machine, I see three areas on the metal back plate that are built out toward me into the front of the machine, like three wide spokes. These "spoke" areas don't look unusual to me, I don't see any evidence of damage. There is a grey plastic fin like piece mounted to the basket itself directly in front of each of the built out "spokes". I am guessing the purpose of these three "fins" is to help in moving the clothes around during the wash an rinse cycles. While grabbing each of these fins I can feel very slight movement front to back, one of them has more play than the others, but still not much, maybe only an 1/8 inch at most.  I cant see behind that back plate to see what is behind the "spokes, is there a way to get behind there to see?  Does that back plate pop off somehow?  It don't see anything on the interior of the basket in the way of mounting screws, etc.

ANSWER: the top would have to come off to view it...there are suspension rods also, one may have broken...

QUESTION: I have discovered a piece of what appears to be fine wire laying loose between the inner and outer drum.  I'll figure a way to fish it out of there, bet that's the problem.

Answer
IF you can see between the inner and outer drum, you have problems.  To really find the problem within the unit, it is a major teardown...The outer tub is a sealed unit and must be disassembled in order to pull the inner spin basket.  The suspension rods also referred to as shocks are mounted to the base of the unit.  The whole basket assembly is suspended from the top by rather large springs.  If you see something in between the tubs and finally fish it out, most likely it will be plastic...plastic shavings from the front of the outer tub which were cut by the inner spin basket.  Let us know what you find....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion