Major Appliances/Refrigerator Water Dispenser Issues

We inherited an older refrigerator when we moved into our home 2 years ago.  The water dispenser always worked fine until a few weeks ago it stopped working or would only dispense water sporadically.  It still works occasionally, i.e when I stand there and hold the dispenser in for 5 minutes, pressing the paddle on and off.  I got a multimeter today and tested for ohms at the water valve.  The smaller solonoid came back at 365 however the bigger solonoid came back at 170.  From the reading I've done it says that if it reads under 200 the water valve is bad and should be replaced.  Is this true?  Is the larger solenoid for water?  Please advise.  Thank you!

The larger solenoid is for the water, it will have the bigger in diameter water line attached above it.   I need a model number to go further.   Thank you but it sounds like you are on the right track... do you ever hear a buzzing or humming when pressing for water.. Ann

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business