Major Appliances/Speed Queen washer

Question
I have a Speed Queen washer model AWM593W2, which is 20 years old.  Once in a while during heavy loads, we would get a little water on the floor.  I'm fairly handy, but could not find any leak.  Then I noticed that the basket was spinning during the wash cycle, which it should not be.  Apparently, this may cause water to splash over during wash cycles.  Trying to troubleshoot this, from information that I could find, it seems the problem may be either worn brake pads or a bad transmission. If it's a bad transmission, I guess I'd just buy a new washer, but brake pads are something I could probably replace myself.  Any advice as to what the problem may be?

Answer
Sorry....I got behind with the Thanksgiving holiday.  I agree on the brake pads.  If you really watch the transmission, the entire transmission spins when spining....The brakes hold it while agitating.  The pads come in a kit part number R9900543.  Let me know if I can help further....  Eric

Major Appliances

Eric Campion