Major Appliances/Whirlpool side by side not cooling

QUESTION: The unit is not cooling and was making a clicking sound.  I replaced the relay and capacitor and not still not cooling but the clicking sound is gone.  The fan is operating, the compressor is not running and is cool to the touch.  I used a simple continuity light to check the compressor-I have continuity on all 3 prongs and no short to a ground.  The fridge is about 12 yrs old.  What is next step?  Is the motherboard the next suspect?

ANSWER: What is your model number.....    Eric

You need to unplug the unit, and remove the rear access cover down at the bottom..usually 5/16 nut driver, this will expose the compressor, which is the large round black thing.. on it is a plastic cover about 4" long by maybe 3" long... there is a wire bracket that holds the cover in place, remove the bracket, then the cover. take a good sniff of those parts for a burning smell, check their appearance for burn marks or melting and if none, remove the part and shake it, listening for a rattle.... Let me know..we should have the items needed in stock... Have a good night.   Ann  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business