Major Appliances/Dishwasher dilemma

Question
QUESTION: Hello: I have a portable dishwasher which is about 20 years old,and it still works great.Recently,my hot water tank (gas) died,and the new electric tank does not have an external thermostat.The installer told me all new tanks were like that.For years,I would raise the temperature on the hot water tank for running the dishwasher,and then set it back down.I live alone,and only run the washer once a week.The tank installer said dishwashers had a built in water heater,and that would ensure the correct water temperature for dish washing.Last nite,I ran a load of dishes,but the results were poor,with food stuck on dishes.Looking in my washer,I can see a loop of heating cable in the bottom of the washer.Is there a way to test this to see if it works? I made sure to press the "heat" button on the panel when I ran the washer last nite.Thanks

ANSWER: Check at the end of the cycle while drying.  Is the heater on?  Is it warm in there?  

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at https://www.affordableappliance.com/  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Hello: Thanks for your prompt response!On my last load,I did notice that the washer wasn't hot and steamy per usual when I opened it at the end,but I put this down to the new water heater not being set hot enough.The hot water heater has two thermostats,one upper and one lower.I took the cover off the upper thermostat,and increased the temperature.BTW,parts for the dishwasher,such as a heater,would be hard to source,as the washer was sold under a defunct Canadian dept store's brand,Viking,although I believe it was actually made by GE.
I will let you know what the results are on my next load,and check if the heater is hot.I should add we have rarely used the "heat" button on the control panel in the past,and just cracked the door and let residual heat dry the dishes.

ANSWER: You can turn up your thermostat in your hot water heating unitfor your convenience and savings....but the dishwasher will still needs to heat the water while washing for optimum performance.  What is the brand and model number of your unit so I can see your unit as you do....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

Dishwasher name plate
Dishwasher name plate  
QUESTION: Hello: Okay,I raised the thermostat setting on the hot water tank,and the results were much better on last load.I put a moistened finger on the heating element after the washer completed the last cycle and got a good psst,so the heater was on.I am attaching a picture of the model and serial # of my machine.Thanks!

Answer
Did the unit clean and better?  Otherwise we will have to look into other options.  You are from Canada and The model number does not come up in our look-up.  Can you also snap a picture of the inside of your wishwasher with the bottom dishrack removed.  Sorry for such a long time responding.  We have been hammered here with cold weather and snow.  

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion