Major Appliances/Roper agitator not moving - panel buzzing

Question
QUESTION: Roper RAS8445JQ0 Washer

When the washer reaches the part of the cycle where it should agitate I hear a buzzing sound that seems to come from the panel.  It fills spins and drains.  I have the door open when testing.

ANSWER: what panel, control panel front panel.. It should not be spinning with the lid up..the lid switch should prevent that...   are you tricking or jumping out the lid switch

QUESTION: Yes, sound seems to be coming from the front control panel, but sounds can be deceiving.

I did not defeat the switch.  It may have been bypassed by someone else.  I did not investigate that yet.

Yes, it is spinning with the top open.  I will investigate, as this seems unsafe.

I will certainly buy part from you.

ANSWER: yes the purpose of the lid switch is to stop the spin so yes check it out and let me know also make sure the agitator on the bottom is not moving... and just the top not working it is two part..

QUESTION: I will double check but I'm fairly certain there was no agitation top or bottom.

Answer
I have been working on these designed units since 1985 when they were first introduced.  Without actually being there and from your description of the symptoms, I have it narrowed down to either the timer assembly (a Known Problem) not specifically for this problem, transmission or the motor not reversing.  Double check your symptoms.....Right after the fill cycle are you sure the lower portion of the agitator is not agitating?  Do not put  clothing in it and put on a small load....  Answer this and any other symptoms you may notice.  I will try to zero in more efficiently.....

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at https://www.affordableappliance.com/  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion