Major Appliances/Electric dryer

Question
Our electric Whirlpool dryer no longer has heat.  I looked on youtube and someone said to check your electrical/fuses.  He said that dryers have two fuses - one for the drum to turn and one for heat.  Our house was built in the 1950s and the electrical has never been updated.  We have a fuse box with round fuses that screw in and out.  No problem with those.  But then there are two black rectangular parts that each look at least 2" x 3" that must conceal fuses, since one of them is designated as being for the dryer.  I have no idea how to open it.  I pulled it a bit, but then decided maybe I shouldn't.  We've changed the round fuses for many years, but I don't ever remember changing any for the dryer.   But that may be just one possible cause of the dryer not heating.  I watched videos where they remove the back of the dryer and show how to replace the heating element, etc.  That may end up being the problem.  But I hesitate to buy a heating element until I know if the fuses for the power are OK.  Thanks for your help!

Answer
Dryers are easily troubleshot when you have a voltage/ohm meter.  Do you have one and know how to use it?  Most all diagnostics for heating are accessed by the rear of the unit.  Got a model number so I can be sure I am instructing correctly?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at https://www.affordableappliance.com/  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441  

Major Appliances

Eric Campion