Major Appliances/Freezer defrosting

I own an older (pre-1982) model GE Frost Guard refrigerator with a lower, roll-out freezer.  The freezer registers a temperature of just below 32 degrees.  Removing the roll-out bin I notice the back of the freezer totally iced up.  All searching on the internet suggests this type of freezer never will need defrosting but this one definitely does.  Can you tell me how to go about it?

Thanks for any help you an extend.

If there is ice back there, there is a defrost part failure, so you must determine which part has failed or the ice will just come back in 2-4 weeks.   A blow dryer is recommended as other sources are not efficient and a heat gun gets too hot.. it will actually melt the plastic parts...We need a model number to go any further.   Ann

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business