Major Appliances/Freezer tripping circuit breaker

Question
QUESTION: Hi Eric,
I really hope you can help me! I put a new Maytag, upright freezer in my garage about 8 months ago and all was well until about a week ago. Twice, my freezer stopped working because the breaker tripped for no apparent reason. There are a couple of garage lights on the same circuit but none were turned on, either time.

I tried to reset the breaker but it wouldn't reset until I unplugged the freezer.....with it unplugged, it reset and the circuit worked fine. After that, I plugged it in with the breaker set and it has stayed on. In 8 months, it's only happened twice but both times have been within the last week. Do you think it's a freezer problem or a electrical problem in the house? HELP!

Charlie

ANSWER: I would first make sure I did not have a weak breaker.   Just garage lights are not a big draw or pull, but when a compressor turns on, the draw is higher, like an amperage spike.  how is the freezer operating, it is working properly when it is running.  Try plugging it into a non-GFI...

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at https://www.affordableappliance.com/  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Hello and thanks for your response. It is not wired through a GFI circuit so that's not the problem. The house is only 2 1/2 years old so it doesn't seem to me like a breaker would be bad....would it? Also, every time it's 'tripped' nether of the lights on the same circuit were on....nothing was but the freezer. Does this change what you might be thinking could be the problem. Thanks, very much!

Charile

Answer
Seems all is well with your breakers.  First thing I would do is remove the overload relay from your compressor and then try plugging it back in and see if the breaker trips....   Did It?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

Major Appliances

Eric Campion