Major Appliances/Maytag Diswasher

Question
Hi Eric,

I have a Maytag dishwasher (Model # MDB6650AWS) that is about 15 years old. It runs fine, but recently the door has become very difficult to open once it closed. Also, I have notice that the dishwasher tends to move out of its space slightly, just on the right side. I have to push it back in its space every once in a while. I did have new granite counter tops installed about 4 years ago, but this is the first time I noticed movement. I'm not sure if this movement has something to do with the door sticking, or if it's two separate problems. Since the dishwasher is older, is it worth getting repaired? Can I fix the problem myself? Other than these two problems, the dishwasher works fine, but I would hate to invest a lot of money in a repair if it's more cost effective to just replace it.

Thank you for your time.

Helen

Answer
The latching system is very sensitive... if the unit is out of square it will cause problems with the latch opening and closing properly... the dishwasher should not be able to move in the opening... sounds like it is no longer attached to the top of the countertop of that side.   Solve the movement in the opening and make sure it is square and plumb and it should solve the trouble

Major Appliances

Eric Campion