Major Appliances/Maytag Performa pavt920aww

At first it would fill, drain and spin but would no longer dry the clothes at all, they would come out soaking wet. Now the washer drum no longer spins at all and the agitator no longer spins, instead it just rotates back and forth when put in the spin mode. When it's off I can spin the agitator freely counter-clockwise by hand, but it does not move clockwise at all.

I tried to reset the motor and checked the belt underneath and it seems OK as far as I can tell (it is not broken and doesn't seem too worn) so what could the problem be?

I've read the transmission could be gone, but would the agitator still go back and forth on spin as it does if that's the case? Should I take the agitator apart and check the dogs to see if maybe they're just worn out or would that not be applicable here?

I would be looking at the thrust bearing kit.  Not an easy install.  The transmission is used for agitation and the whole transmission spins when in the spin cycle.  The Thrusted bearing kit is used to activate the brake.  This may be your problem.....    Check this and let me know what you find.   

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

Major Appliances

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. You can visit our website at

36 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances.

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business