Major Appliances/Burn smell in dryer after repair

Question
Hi Eric
For context, yesterday our 91/2 year old Kenmore Elite dryer (I'm not home so don't have model handy) produced smoke. After shutting it down and unplugging, I pulled the back to investigate source and found it to be quite lint-free with no obvious burned lint inside. The odour is strong, and due to its nature, I believe to be "electrical" burn, not lint. Enough smoke was produced to leave some sooty ash in the immediate room area. The towels being dried at the time stink and have a slight grey colour left behind on them.

Assuming our service guy says he can repair it properly (he has not yet seen it), in your experience is there a hope that the smell will dissipate? It is currently a strong smell that is very obvious within the drum. A similar current model is about $1300 new, so I'm weighing options.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Luke

Answer
Sounds like an electrical smell and I would guess the cord attached to the dryer was improperly installed.  Not tightening the nuts tight enough.  I would imaging the unit is a Whirlpool produced for Sears...and from the rear you really cannot see inside the drum and motor area.  Let your tech check it and he will be able to give you more current and firm responses...   Good Luck, Eric

Major Appliances

Eric Campion