Major Appliances/Washer/Dryer affected by water/flood?

Question
Good evening Carl. I have a Whirlpool washer and dryer, approximately 6 years old. In my apartment, the hot water heater is mounted directly above the dryer. On Friday, the hot water heater burst and flooded the laundry area. My question is, how much does that type of water/flood affect a washer and/or dryer? I used the washer today and it APPEARS to be working okay. The dryer, however, smelled like something was burning and so I immediately stopped it. Does it seem like this is something that will go away? Or maybe can be repaired? Or am I better off replacing the dryer and just seeing how things go with the washer? The dryer is model # LER3624JQ0> The washer model is LSR6332KQ0. Both Whirlpool, Commercial Quality, Super Capacity. Thanks much!

Answer
Alisa,
I have done insurance work before, and if the water was 3 inches deep or more, the unit is finished. It may work now, but motor damage may occur several months down the road. If the dryer had been a gas dryer, it is very dangerous to keep in service. If you have insurance, use it! :)

Major Appliances

Carl Goodwin